Thursday, October 09, 2003

Realistic Expectations?

Okay, so it’s the middle of the semester and there are more things to do than time to do them in. It can be very discouraging and frustrating. I have found myself in places of discouragement and frustration this year also. I am beginning to understand that it is related to my expectations. They are too high. Sometimes our levels of discontent are directly related to the choices we make or the way we perceive our circumstances. For example, I have often found myself very overwhelmed because I got too involved in too many things and made too many commitments that left no breathing room. In those cases I feel like I am suffocating, and the air in the room is running out. What I am learning to do is to choose better, to have more realistic expectations of myself and others, and to prioritize my commitments by those things in my life that are most important to me.



I want to challenge you to take a moment to consider what is most important to you. No, not what is important to your professors, your friends, your parents, your pastor. I want you to look deeply into your own heart and see what has the most significance to you. Now look at your life as you are living it now. Are you spending your time on what is most important to you? Or is your time being eaten up by things that aren’t the most important to you? It seems that I allow worrying to eat up most of my time. And unrealistic expectations. Some things that I want to happen now just can’t because they aren’t ready. They have to develop.



Psalm 37:4 says, “Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” I hear this saying that as we seek the Lord and spend time loving Him, He will show us what is really important. We will come to understand what is most important and will find help in giving time to those things. Join me in spending time with Jesus so he can rearrange our time. We have nothing to loose, and so much to gain. Hear these gracious words as if Jesus is speaking them directly to you (because He is): “Come unto me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).



Blessings,



Sami

No comments: