Wednesday, May 26, 2004

What's God God In Store For Your Summer?

Remember that just because it is summer break, God is still up to some wonderful, clever things. I want to challenge each of you to seriously pray about how God is using you this summer. It’s almost like you have a short-term mission assignment, wherever you are. Y’all have each touched my life in a specific and special way; I truly believe that God intends to use each of you to touch someone else’s life this summer in a similar way. Where is the need that really tugs at your heart? Is there someone you see often who just needs some extra encouragement? Maybe you are working in a gloomy environment and God has injected your zany sense of humor at just the right time to brighten things up.

I think of my dear friend and mentor George. He was the Senior Pastor at the church I first worked at. During those two years we worked together he really took me under his wing, taught me how to have fun in the midst of the craziness of ministry, and kept encouraging me to find ways to connect with God so I wouldn’t get burned out. After those first two years he retired. He always said that when he retired he wanted to focus on doing the 30% of ministry (Bible Studies and teaching) he loved full-time instead of the 70% of church business, politics, and administration that he hated. He always said that retirement didn’t mean retiring from ministry; God still had special things for him to do. And boy did God use him in a special way. Perhaps the most significant ministry he ever gave happened in the last three years of his life, during his retirement. He was able to step into a bad situation at a church that was really hurting to provide stable leadership, loving compassion, and wise support as they healed. His legacy blows me away, and reminds me that we are never really off-duty when it come to the Lord.

That is not to say that you shouldn’t enjoy your break. This summer break is one of God’s gifts to you. He has already planned for your refreshment. In fact, you will be refreshed and renewed even as you serve Him in your new environment. It will be a joy to your soul.

I am so proud of each of you. I am so thankful for your presence in my life. Know that you are greatly loved by Jesus. I know because He has put His love for you in my heart.

Have a great week!

Sami

No comments: