Thursday, April 26, 2007

Hope--Weekly E-letter Wesley Foundation

Dear Friends,

I just got back from eating Baskin Robbins ice cream with a friend. There is nothing like Jamoca Almond
Fudge ice cream to make the day better, and I was having a pretty good one to begin with. I hope each of
you has something like that in your life that brings you simple joy. Sometimes it is just good to step
away from the craziness and simply enjoy life. It somehow makes the craziness less crazy.

Anyway, tonight is our special PICTURES OF GOD worship experience. Bring your picture with you and we'll
scan it in! Food at 6:30pm, our service starts at 7:30pm. SMILEY & THE HOT MINUTE will be sharing
praise and worship music. Should be lots of fun.

Next week we will watch a "Facing the Giants" on the lawn. Watch for more info later on.

Now for Sami's Ramblings About Jesus:

Yesterday I wrote my e-letter and lost it in cyberspace when I hit send. Today I am writing it first in
a Word document. It seems I always have to live and learn the hard way. Pray for me; I need it bad! 

It's been a rough couple of weeks on campus. My heart has been so heavy for most of it over the
shootings at Virginia Tech and then the death of the young man in Keen Hall. Yet at the same time the
presence of God has been so profound. I've seen Him move in ways that have amazed me. While I have
wrestled with what to say in the midst of tragedy, I keep coming back to the presence of Hope which
persists no matter what.

We stood together on the lawn last week lighting candles to honor those who had lost their lives as well
of those who were hurting. The light spread from one person to another. Nobody cared who they received
the light from. Divisions seemed to melt away from the gathered crowd as we kept passing the constant
flame from one candle to another. That's how I think of Hope. We share God's heart with one another,
passing His blessing around from one person to another, feeling in our own hearts the Love of God that
beats there, and communicating it to others in simple gestures, like light bearing. We are His light
bearers.

We also bring light by bearing the cares and burdens of others; we care about what they care about, we
feel their heartache with them. Somehow it makes the day better. We join our hearts with theirs and
simply stay with them in their need, being a face of love for them to gaze upon, or even gazing upon them
with love when their pain is so great they cannot even raise their eyes. We care and we offer the space
of our hearts to carry those who hurt to the heart of God. If we can't make it better we take the hurt
to the One who can. While I don't know what to say in the face of unspeakable anguish, this is what I
wish to be, and what I try to offer in the place of words.

I guess I keep coming back to that simple truth that God holds us. We are held in love, just sometimes
we don't know it. In the aftermath of all that has happened, my heart aches most for those who are
lonely and feel they must suffer alone. Like the young man who took his own life. I just wish I would
have known him. I just wish he had known there was a place on campus where he would have found
friendship and acceptance. A place where he would have been loved.

I want to say to you who are reading this and feel lonely, like there is no place where you really
belong, like your life doesn't matter and nobody cares, we are your place. We care. Your life does
matter. It matters to God and it matters to us. I promise you welcome. You will find rest for your
soul.

For some of us it is a major step of faith to trust. If you need to trust that someone cares, trust us.
Give us a chance to shower you with God's love. We will honor the step of faith you take.

Know you are not alone. Know that you are loved.

Blessings,

Sami

Rev. Sami Wilson
Campus Minister/Director

WKU Wesley Foundation
1355 College St.
Bowling Green, KY 42101
(270) 842-2880

No comments: