Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Let Him Just Look At You

I love this time of year. One of my favorite things to do is to watch the ABC Family channel’s “25 Days of Christmas” holiday shows. I get to see the shows I watched as a child. My favorite ones always make me cry. In a very simple way they weave a personal story around the greatest story ever told. Like the Little Drummer Boy, who played his drum for Jesus. Like Nester, the donkey that carried Mary to Bethlehem. Each reminds me that the coming of the Christ child is always a personal thing. The light of God always shines in the darkness that falls close to home. The peace of God always comforts the hurts that seem too mundane to share. The joy of God always brings happiness that is fashioned perfectly for the one receiving it. As each little cartoon character comes to life within the Christmas story, I realize that my story and your story are part of Christ’s story too. What is stirring in your heart, right now? Can you offer it to Christ? Can you invite His gentle presence into the center of it?



There is something miraculous about such a simple thing as saying, “Here I am, Lord, the good, the bad, and the ugly.” It is as if Jesus enters the rude stable of our hearts to be born once again. As gentle as a baby’s smile, as joyful as lungs filling for the first time, as tender as a mother’s first caress, Jesus comes to us. Something within me leaps and weeps, all at the same time.



Thank you for walking with me this year. It has been such a joy to know each one of you. Jesus loves you so much. He is crazy about you. As you leave this place, traveling home for Christmas, imagine yourself drawing close to the manger and peering in. Allow yourself to be gazed upon by Love. You are so precious in His sight. Let Him just look at you this Christmas.



Y’all are the best.



Blessings,



Sami

No comments: